Thursday 7 January 2016

New Year, new books?

Happy new year to you all! I hope you had a great Christmas. I have been busy with one thing and another and have some exciting news to share with you. I have been commissioned to write a pictorial history of Barrow-in-Furness by Amberley Publishers, this will be published later in 2016.

So its back to almost normal. Who was lucky enough to receive some books for Christmas? It wouldn't be a good Christmas for me without receiving books and I'm glad to say that I did get books; ten in fact!

I have read two so far and hope to dig into the others very soon. It made me think, I wondered what books you received if any? Please do tell me by posting a comment below!

I was given "Career of Evil" by Robert Galbraith-or JK Rowling to you! She uses this pseudonym for her adult series of detective Cormoran Strike and I like them just as much as "Harry Potter.


A really special pair of books I received was an antique leather bound set of the Waverley Novels by Sir Walter Scott. These are rather old fashioned classic novels about characters and events in history; such as Ivanhoe and Rob Roy. The print is tiny and they smell a bit musty but they are real books with their own story, even before I read them. "Who owned them? Where did they come from? What happened to their owner? Hang on! I think there is a story here!







2 comments:

  1. Hello Gill,
    Hope you had a lovely Christmas and a happy New Year!
    We are very lucky to have recieved lots of interesting book for Christmas. Some of our favourites are: Grandpas Great Escape by David Walliams; lots of Horrid Henry books; Tom Gates by Liz Pichon; Harry Potter and of course Out of Time!
    We are looking forward to seeing you and your new book!
    The Dragon Class
    Lindal and Marton Primary School

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year Dragon Class! What some great books you got! (Glad to see that Out of Time was one!)I have been very busy already this year and although I am still writing OT4 I have a commission for a new history book using old photographs of Barrow which will be out in August! My deadline is May-eek!I hope to visit you soon-look forward to seeing you all

    lots of love your adopted author
    Gill

    ReplyDelete