Thursday 11 February 2016

Procrastination-an art form

Today I was going to write. I had a plan. I was going to grab this new book by the throat and wrench words onto the page. So, suddenly I remembered I had very urgent emails to answer. They had been there since yesterday and it really wouldn't be polite to leave them unanswered.Would it? Emails answered, back to work. Selected the necessary pictures and began adding captions and writing text... with words. But then, a sudden call of nature.

The bathroom- crying out for a good old clean. You know it was! I could hardly leave without a quick wipe down with the Flash...and one thing leads to another... cleaning the shower plug (my least favourite job). Anyway ten minutes later a pristine shower and a de-haired plug-disgusting but strangely satisfying. Wash hands thoroughly. Pause to take in the view from the bedroom window and there's another ten minutes gone.

Back to work then. Hmm! One o' clock! Do I need some lunch? Maybe I should-wouldn't like to go too long without sustenance. Kettle on, sandwich made. Worktops lovingly cleaned. Not once, but twice. Have lunch. Clear the pots, wash them. One thirty-five.

Mobile beeping. Must be important. Answer messages. Check Facebook. Best check Twitter while I'm at it. Download more photographs. Tweet that I am procrastinating. Look at downloads. Need local history books. Mooch around the bookshelves. Find the books. Read through the references. Better ring Mum.

Pick up laptop. On a roll! Write two whole paragraphs and locate the matching pictures. Great progress... Ooops! Two forty-five. Leave to pick up grandson...

Ten-thirty pm resume writing... 

Procrastination IS the thief of time and I'm afraid I am a willing accomplice!
An ideal writing situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment